"A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world." - Anonymous

Monday, August 13, 2012

Long weekends in the Philippines

 Rappler.com reports:
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) - A long weekend is in store for Filipinos next week, after President Benigno Aquino III has signed Proclamation No 455 declaring August 20, next Monday, a regular holiday throughout the country.
This is in observance of the Eid'l Fitr, when Muslims end their fast, the Palace said.
The Eid'l Fitr holiday is immediately followed by Ninoy Aquino Day on Tuesday, August 21. 
Eid'l Fitr is one of the regular holidays for 2012, as per Proclamation No. 295, series of 2011, while the Ninoy Aquino Day is a Special (Non-Working) Holiday.
The proclamation of the Eid'l Fitr holiday is in accordance with the Islamic calendar (Hijra) or the lunar calendar, or upon Islamic astronomical calculations. - Rappler.com

Well hello, long weekend! It's a four-day vacation for everyone in the Philippines and I can just imagine how many millions of students and workers are celebrating this moment, including me. However, I could not help but at least be concerned about the fact that due to the very recent August monsoon that has left several towns and cities in our country devastated from the heavy flooding, much damage has already been incurred upon learning due to the suspension of classes day after day and with the two consecutive holidays on Monday and Tuesday coming up, classes will be called off again. I just think that, most probably, interruption to learning will bear negative effects upon learning itself. But I'm sure we will not just get away with all the days classes were suspended. College students might not have their semestral breaks anymore and the school year for high school and grade school students might be extended up to April or even May. This only concerns the students and education. How about the workers and the economy? I'm sure that is a different story.

Don't get me wrong, 'course I love holidays, I do, but then again I'm just concerned. And one more thing I am deeply concerned of: I hope that I get the money for my bus ticket before Friday. I wish a miracle would happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment